Group Facilitation Skills for STD/HIV Prevention Interventions
This two-day training will help to increase providers' confidence, knowledge and practice skills in facilitating groups, such as the Centers for Disease Control's evidence based behavioral intervention "VOICES/VOCES." This course has been approved for OASAS credit.
As a result of this training, participants will be able to:
- Increase their understanding of group process and how it influences behavior change;
- Identify qualities of an effective group facilitator;
- Increase skills in facilitating STD/HIV prevention intervention groups;
- Identify strategies for handling group problems;
- Increase awareness of the importance of training, supporting and evaluating group facilitators; and
- Identify possible solutions for recruitment, retention and incentives.
Audience: Group facilitators, counselors, health educators, peer educators, health care professionals and other public health prevention providers who conduct group level STD/HIV prevention interventions.
Registration for all courses sponsored by the New York State Department of Health Aids Institute is done at http://www.hivtrainingny.org/
. Please visit that site to search the statewide calendar and reserve your place in this course.
CASAC Section 2: 13.0 hours
CPP Section 4: 13.0 hours
OASAS: Office of Alcoholism & Substance Abuse Services
CASAC: Credentialed Alcohol & Substance Abuse Counselor
CPP: Credentialed Prevention Professional
CPS: Credentialed Prevention Specialist